General Santos

When I did not have a choice but to go on with this trip, I immediately browse the internet about affordable things I can do in General Sant...

When I did not have a choice but to go on with this trip, I immediately browse the internet about affordable things I can do in General Santos city.

General Santos City is the Tuna Capital of the Philippines, called Dadiangas by the locals is just a 3-hour ride from Davao City and an hour and a half from Manila. Famous for its boxing champ Manny “Pacman’ Pacquiao is a new and safe destination in Southern Mindanao.

I booked the flight a year before this trip via Cebu Pacific Air because of their cheap flights, I totally forgot about having this ticket and too bad I also did not noticed that it was our anniversary date, luckily my husband decided to go on this trip with me.

WAITING FOR OUR FLIGHT

5 AM in the morning

We arrived at exactly 6:45 in the morning, once you arrived in the airport there were taxi operators already waiting for you, the cost was around PHP 300 - PHP 350 only to the city but of course I want to ride a public multicab which only cost us PHP 50 going to the city. You just need to cross the street and it is located on the parking area, from there you will see barkers or drivers waiting for the passenger.

First stop KCC MALL

    

We arrived at exactly 7:50 in the morning and we waited for the mall to open to withdraw some cash and we bought our food and other necessities, make sure to buy everything you need if you plan to go in Gumasa beach.

KCC Parking

From KCC parking, we rode a van going to Glan and travel time was like 1-2 hours depends on how fast the driver can be. Once you arrived to Glan Terminal there were tons of tricycles waiting for the passengers and ask them to drive you to Gumasa beach. Tricycle cost us roughly 40 pesos each and I paid 120 with the tip,just make sure to ask the driver to pick you up going back to the terminal because there were no tricycles or public transportation in Gumasa beach.

Gumasa Beach

Of course I made my research and the cheapest accommodation with a reputation in Gumasa Beach is the White Haven Resort. This establishment is the first of the three Adarna-family-owned white sand beach resorts in Gumasa, Glan.   Located at the northern side of the 4-kilometer beach front, White Haven Beach Resort is a favorite of those who prefer a quiet and laidback vacation. 

I was intrigued to see this beach because they said that it was like a mini Boracay. However there were no party places here just only serene beach with a very lovely sunset which was ideal to our getaway.

 Beach Front
 Our kind of 10th year anniversary
 Scariest starfish I have ever seen because it has a fangs and teeth eeew
 I wish I can swim in the Abyss and aim for this lovely sunset
 Our Romantic View
 White powdery sand
 I love this photo so much it looked like a painting to me
 Another Nice morning..
Obligatory shot

You see the last photo on where I stand? On the background there was a mini cave that looked like bikini bottom but too bad I was not able to explore it because it was high tide, and when we arrived we were too disappointed because we can't swim because of the mud that was on shore, so we waited at around 6 am and were happy to see the clear green waters, also our stayed in this beach were very relaxing at the same time we were a bit scared because there were no other guest around the area.

We stayed at backpackers room for only PHP 750 with free breakfast but the comfort room was outside but very near the area. You can also camp on the beachfront and you just need to pay a tent for only PHP 100. Entrance Fee was 65 pesos but if you will rent a room it's free.

The room was very basic but you won't really need the air conditioner as it was too cool because of the native Filipino house theme.

White haven also have a restaurant inside the resort but you need to order as early as 5 pm if you will going to stay overnight because their cut off time is only until 7 pm.

Overall rating for this stay was 7/10, I love the room even though it was very basic because it was clean and you will feel like you traveled back in time because of the scenery,atmosphere and you can even hear crickets and Iguana on a silent night. The comfort room was very clean and you just need to bring your things with you inside, the only thing that disappointed me was the shore because it needs maintenance and if it's high tide you won't be able to swim because of the dirty things that washed away the shore. My husband was a bit disappointed too because aside from the travel time he said he was a bit uncomfortable that we were the only guest in the area. But we still did have a nice time!

After we checked out at around 11 am, we traveled back to Glan Terminal for 30 minutes and we went back to the city.
Nice view mountains and sea

We checked in to Novo Hotel just adjacent to KCC Mall and Gaisano Mall.

Rates are Php 600 for 12 hours and PHP 800 for 24 hours. My rating was 9/10. I love the room,clean spacious. and has TV,Airconditioner,Hot shower and Wifi, but the Wifi can only be used in the lobby area. Plus I love the fact that we just need to walk going to the malls. 

I admire their malls compared here in Manila because of the cheap finds especially in Gaisano. I bought all of my Christmas gifts in Gaisano mall because of their truly cheap items yet it has a brand.
 Strolling around SM General santos

We decided to go in SM from KCC and we rode a tricycle for only 8 pesos per head. From SM we also checked out Robinson Mall and we paid 20 pesos for the fare. Also don't forget to check out Tiongson arcade for food! we only run out of time that was why we werent able to check out the food craze in Tiongson.

 Inside our room  and I am wearing hijab

That was the end of our trip, if you plan to buy fresh tuna there were available shops in the airport ready packed for you but if you want cheaper rates you have to be up very early in the morning and visit Tuna Fish Port. I was also shocked when I found out that watermelon only cost PHP 12 per kilo in General Santos and it was too way affordable compared the price here in Manila.

Should I go back and recommend General Santos for a trip? Well yes! you should see the laid-back atmosphere in Gumasa and the busy streets in General Santos.  




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images