Ilocos Trip August 2015

Ilocos Norte was once became the home of my Grandparents ++ , it has been 14 years since the last time I went to this marvelous place. The...

Ilocos Norte was once became the home of my Grandparents ++ , it has been 14 years since the last time I went to this marvelous place.

The reason I chose to have this self planned trip was because to visit my Grandmom's grave and to visit our relatives in Paoay. I am truly blessed because I did not have to spend a dime in renting a hotel or inns during my entire stay and I thanked my cousin CJ and Mama Nita for this. I was teary eyed when I saw my cousin who were already 14 and he was about an inch taller than me, the last time I saw him was when he was still had a diaper and only 2 years old. While Mama Nita still looked the same but she became a little slimmer.

This is where I realized that time really flies so fast, so make the most out of it! If only I could stay longer and I can visit them whenever I could I will ,but anyway so much for my drama. Let's go back with my trip.

There were two ways for you to get in Ilocos Norte or Ilocos Sur. If you will be travelling by land the travel time is 11-12 hours and the approximate cost of the fare is PHP 800-1000 one way, and you will pass first Ilocos Sur where Vigan is located, the famous tourist spot. The second option is to travel by plane via Philippine Airlines or Cebu Pacific and from there their schedule for this August trip the arrival was 7:00 PM by Cebu Pacific,so you really need to rent a tricycle to your destination and the price was a bit pricey it depends on your destination, from Laoag to Paoay you can get charged from PHP 170 - - PHP 200. Travel time is 1 and a half up to 2 hours via plane.


The first thing I did in the morning after having breakfast with my loved ones was to visit my grandma's grave in Campo Santo. Before reaching the cementery, the view was beautiful and you can see Paoay Lake from the top of the hill.

just me the photobomber


Hello Nanay!
After offering prayers and called my dad who was in Japan to view her late mom, we headed back to the house and King my cousin's cousin drove me to Batac so I can ride a bus going to Vigan. From Batac crossing you can wait at the bus stop going to Vigan, from my excitement it was my big mistake to rode a non aircondioner bus because instead of travelling only for 1 and a hald an hour my trip became 3 hours from Batac to Vigan and I was truly exhausted. To not spoil my quick trip around Vigan, I headed to Mart One to do some business in there and after that I had a quick stroll at Plaza Salcedo, sadly the dancing fountain was at night and it was not operational during my visit even at night because there were advesories that there were ongoing repairs.

Plaza Salcedo
After Plaza Salcedo I decided to ride a tricycle going to Calle Crisologo and I am not sure of the cost of the real fare because when I asked Manong the driver he said it was all up to me, so I gave him PHP 20. As I entered Calle Crisologo I was mesmerized and it was like I was in another world, my first stop was to try Irene's famous empanada I was starving and thirsty so I ordered two empanada and 1 bottle of softdrinks, it was a steal because it only cost me 80 pesos, 35 each for the special emapanadas plus the softdrink!
Sadly I forgot to took a photo because I was hungry! haha,, after munching at Irene's I walked along Calle Crisologo and I was lucky that there were only few tourist so I can relax and feel the atmosphere scenic.
The weather was a bit rainy but it was okay, I was still able to visit the tourist spot around the city. Then I decided to hire a Calesa, it was a great experience because you can feel hat you were in another era, I was thinking that I was once a rich spaniards during my tour lol hahaha, there were locals who were waving at me and saying "Hello, welcome to Vigan" or "Hi Madam" hahaha, if only they knew that I only have a thousand bucks with me during my trip hahahahaha.

 Hiring a calesa was PHP 150 per hour and the total hours of my tour were 4 hours. The first stop after Calle Crisologo was Bantay bell tower, it was a nice experience because I knew that this site were once became important here in Vigan, there were priest that was beheaded in this site also when I visited this site I was alone so, from there you can imagine how creepy this trip was, I was not able to climb up in the upper part of the tower because I was alone, the temperatute was too cold and it was very silent, I did not go for a ghost hunting so I stopped in the middle of the tower because i felt so terrified.
 Just wow

Entrance to the tower
 This was where I stopped and there were spiral ladders going to the main tower
I will go back with someone if given a chance to overcome this creepy feeling

The second stopped was the ruins by the church just beside Bantay Bell Tower, it was magnificent I wonder if they still held a mass in here

After visiting the church we headed back near Plaza Salcedo where I visited the former prison jail where there were tour guides to explain the things inside the museum, it was free of charge.
 The main Entrance

Where Elpidio Quirino was born it says that his Father was once a general on this area.

So after that Manong took me to hidden garden, I did not expect that this was too far away from the tourist spots, it took me 20-30 mins going to this place, but once you get in there the site was very relaxing with the sounds and the scent.



Sadly, I was not able to try their restaurant and it looked so yummy! I asked Manong to go in Crisologo Museum because I had a crush on this former governor of Ilocos Sur.
My Daguerre type of Boyfriend lol
 My favorite spot of the house
Nice kitchen
After those trips I asked Manong to drop me off to RCJ Bus going back to Laoag, from there the fare cost me 110 and the trip was only 1 hour and a half. 

Time to be with my love ones!

 Goodnight!
Early morning, Mama Nita and I decided to visit Batac market to buy some stuffs for a souvenir so I can take it home in Manila. I bought some cheap deals from Special Vinegar to rattan swing,katipunero hat and of course your trip in Ilocos won't be complete without trying Bagnet, I bought for only PHP 450 for 1 and a half kilo and it was truly a steal!
Mama Nita and I

After shopping we went to Paoay Church so I can lit the candle for my wish and to utter a prayer.
 Well the church is a UNESCO heritage site, amazing!
candles for my dear departed ones and for my wish, the candles were inside the box and you have to give some donations

After visitng the church I dropped by at Abel Paoay souvenir shop, your trip on this site won' be complete if you did not buy Nana Rosa's Cornick, some local bags,national costumes and souvenir items. The shop was just across the Church and on the left side of the church, you will see the white building and it is called Paseo, you can find cheap items for souvenir only at ABEL PAOAY

 Items to choose from
 The entrance
I wish I bought more cornicks, it was a good deal for only PHP 140 the big size that you can munch on, they also have taro chips and other chips to choose from ha ragne from PHP 35-140 PHP.

Nana Rosa brand was the yummiest of all!

After visiting this sites, we headed back to the house and I had rest for a bit for my flight, this trip was really worth it because I got to see my loved ones and do side trips aside from doing business. Well, I was not able to visit some other tourist spots like Cpa Bojeador and the beaches here in Ilocos and I will definitely go back to visit those places and of course my loved ones.

Before I forgot, please do not forget to not buy Vinegar when you will be travelling by plane, it sucks because I had a 1.5 liters bottle with me inside my checked in baggage, honestly Laoag airport was very particular in this, they are very strict and they were like immigration officers checking everything from your make up,check in bags, everything you have with you, I was a bit teary eyed because that vinegar was my favorite and they will be the one to taste it not me! sigh,
Anyway, they said that it was for our safety because it was explosives. UGH! I had to moved on because it will spoil my mood.

So there, travelling is all about the experience you don't need too much cash with you if you know where to go and how to spend it, I am just lucky that I have relatives in this town. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images